Tuesday 2 April 2013

Gothcon XXXVII

So, back from the action of the main Easter event for all un plugged gamers in Sweden, Gothcon, I promised a write up of the high lights.

This years gothcon emblem

First of, this years gothcon was cold. Could it be that easter should be pushed back a week or two?
Not only the weather was cold, but the sleeping rooms were also too cold for comfort, fortunately, not much time was spent sleeping.

The only real competitive activities I participated in was the Diplomacy tournament and a Gatecrash draft in Magic. We also played some Hansa Teutonica, a board game about creating trade routes and unlocking abilities to create better trade routes. The game seemed quite fun, but our noob-meta quickly developed into clogging the important routes so that no-one got anywhere untill one of us had luck in finding a random-strat that worked that game. During the saturday, we also played a game of Advanced Civilization, ending in defeat after the Assyrians aquired both Military and Monotheism, resulting in them always ending their turn on nine cities. After that, it was over.

Cosplayed Space Marine
The board game Pandemic was also a hit. I have played it several times before, but my friends hadn't, so we played it some. I really like the mechanic of the game, and the expansion, On The brink, really added some fun missions with a bio-terrorist, mutations, and a fifth virus possibility. We also tried a demo game of Flames of War. It was kind of fun, but it seems somewhat lack luster in comparison with Warmachine and Hordes.

The Diplomacy game we had was very exiting. I got Turkey, unfortunately, my brother got Austria and convinced everybody around me that I was the most dangerous one. This resulted on a three state coalition to beat me, but leaving me at my three starting centers when the coalition started to stab one another. After staying at my three centers for six years, I managed to grow to 5 in the last year, claiming the third place in the game.

The Magic draft was also fun, I had asked beforehand what strategies work in Gatecrash drafts, and the only thing that stuck was the extort-strat. Lucky for me, my first rare (I always rare-draft, because I am not better than that) was a black guy with extort. So i had my course set out. My deck earned me the second place of the draft, which was better than my friends. To me, that was the most important. I even saved the result sheet.

We also went by the Swedish Championship in Warmachine and Hordes. It was a rather small tournament of 30 people, but the tables and terrain were very good looking. When we went by, the final top 8 players had started their Swiss play off and faction count was: 3 Legion, 2 Menoth, 1 Cygnar, 1 Skorne, 1 Circle. The skorne guy won the tournament.

All in all, it was a good gothcon this year and I plan on going next year as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment