Wednesday 15 May 2013

Incognicon part 1

Just before the big parties of the last of April, a gaming convention was held in the south of Stockholm, with a one day warmahordes tournament of 42 pts with 1-2 lists. I decided to go in the last minute, I decided to play it painted, dropping the krielstone and stone scribe chronicler out of my lists. I really, really need to paint them right now. The two lists i brought were:
Jarl is ready for action!

pMadrak
Earthborn, Mauler, Axer, Runebearer
Janissa, Fell caller
Max Kriel warriors+ua+3 cabers
Min burrowers

Jarl skuld
Mauler, Impaler, Runebearer
Fell caller
Full fennblades + ua
Full champs
Min kriels+ ua+3 cabers

I.e, one infantry jam/spam list, and one list to get high armour (without the stone...). 
When the morning came i was confident that this would go well and aimed at getting at least two wins out of the five games I would play. However, disaster struck ten minutes before the tournament, when we discovered we where at the wrong location. PANIC. A quick taxi ride later, my Uppsala comrades and I made it there on time to be fashionably late. Unpacking was done in a haste while i was matched against my younger brother in an epic grudge match.

Game 1
My brother played skorne and his two lists were Xerxis, with tiberion, and eMakeda, with molik karn and an archidon. I chose my pMadrak list, fearing the high arm of tiberion and that eMakeda would only laugh at my jam as she fests and runs through. He chose eMakeda to do his evil bidding and i got into the mindset of closing down Molik missile angles...

The game started relatively normal, I advanced and placed my kriels as a shield. On his turn two, the game was to an end. He botched big time and, thinking he would clear out some kriels with Makeda, found himself inside a cabers melee range. He got stressed and neglected to feat, so that he could just lightning strike out, and tried to shield her right in front om my brick. My turn after was a massacre ending in two burrowers slug gunning Makeda out of this world.
So far so good. It did however not feel right to win that way, but a win is a win and I was still best in the family (though he actually placed fourth in the tournament, only losing to me).
Chemical Reaction, dominate the friendly
zone, control or dominate the enemy's

Game 2
I was matched against Falkman and his good looking Retribution. Looking at his two lists, I realised that there is still much to learn in this game. As i know that Ret shoots a bit and aren't really known for their high armour, i let Jarl take the field. I remember thinking, "well, it can't be that much shooting", and it also felt good to play both lists in the first two rounds. Falkman chose to go with Rahn, along with the mage hunter strike force, dawnguard sentinels, two mage hunter assassins, battle mages, two jacks, and some flavour.

Falkman has positioned his troops, ready for the oncoming
horde of trollbloods.


We played the chemical reaction scenario, and I got lucky and opted to go first, so that I could jam as far up the board as possible. Thinking the Fenns would be best for the job, I deployed them in the centre, so they could run up the board as quickly as possible. The kriels, with the steady banner, would jam my friendly zone nicely, and I would go for dominating the enemy zone with the champs and the mauler.
Falkman put down his army in the centre of the field,  assassins placed on the side of jarl and the strike force in the middle.

Troll turn one. The fenns are all ready up in
the middle of the field
My first turn consisted of running. My god I ran. The fell caller also shouted so that the kriels could avoid any trees slowing them down in the small forest. I sat back happy and waited for Falkman to try and shoot all the bodies off the board...

Falkman started shooting. Aiming, the strike force could almost not miss. Fenns, being at arm 14 is no match for the pow 10s. They were massacred. I began to feel the power of the shooting and understood I had chosen the wrong list. After the shooting, the dawnguard moved up in between the strike force, and the strike force became unchargable.

Troll Second turn, only a few fennblades left.
My second turn, time to hit back. I did my best. But the small amounts of fennblades left only have one attack each. The kriels couldn't really reach much, they slammed the smaller jack but did not do more than dent the nicely painted armour. Jarl could only reach the assassins, even far striked, but they are stealthy and so he missed. The Mauler walked up and placed himself

between jarl and the assassins, the champs ran into the enemy zone to contest it.

After the second retribution turn it was over. He killed the last fennblades, most of the champions. Only the piper and the standard bearer were left of the kriels. The Mauler was dropped to four health points left by the first mage hunter assassin. The second one ended him easily.

The second round left the game one sided. I tried to kill off as much as possible and to survive, but when Rahn started to dominate my zone, I had to try and kill him with Jarls two magic guns. The last photo in this post shows the result.

So what did I learn from this game?
Ret shoots a lot of low pow shots. Higher armour is good against them, not lots of bodies. I could also have played it safer, forcing him either to feat with Rahn turn one or forcing the strike force to move and not being able to aim as their guns are range 12 and the fenns under their mini-feat No Quarter and Quicken have a threat range of 15 with reach. And also, I have to paint my stone scribe chronicler. +2 def and feign death would have saved not all, but some of the poor fennblades.

After the first two quick games, a win and one crushing defeat was my score. But Jarl would get his revenge, more on that in the upcoming posts from Incognicon!



3 comments:

  1. Incognicon is a nice and cozy convention. I went last year, or maybe it was 2011. Couldn't make it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was talk of there maybe being an Incognicon in the fall already, if there is a Warmahordes tournament then, Im going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year (2012) There was an Incognicon in both spring and autumn, and from what I understood that is the regular schedule. So should be one this autumn as well.
    We'll have to have a rematch then! ;)

    ReplyDelete