Monday 20 May 2013

Incognicon part 4!

Rally point
Game five and I was 2 and 2. Matched up against the my friend, Erik, the pig player, I knew he would choose Midas because we all tell him he is no good. His other list was a carver list which I think would have been good against my brick list. I chose Jarl, as per my previous decision that brick was not for me this day.
The bacon smorgasbord:

Midas
Bone swarm, Road hog, road hog, razor boar, Gun boar, Dead war hog
2x Slaugherhausers, 2xBone grinders
Targ

After my first turn, the road hogs are looming ahead. 
Fire Support. That is apparently a scenario. I guess, I never have read so far in the SR13 document. Maybe it's because I always think of how good eDenny is on the Incursion, flag, scenario, and rip the document in a thousand pieces. Well well. I rolled and got the first move, I deployed as before, battle group and champs center, fennblades left and kriels right. I knew what strat Midas would go for. A first wave of his warbeasts, then slaugherhausers and reanimating the war beasts. And then a third wave with the come to life warbeasts.

I was totally focused on caster kill, a remainder from the last game, so that was all I saw. My first turn, running was the main part. Quicken on the fenns, tactical supremacy (I did not forget to move this time) on the champs. The two road hogs led the charge with their advance move, and their boostable pow12 10" sprays are to be feared. The rest of the army followed.
Two heavy warbeasts make a good road block!

My next turn, the fenns went for Midas and the road hogs, Midas, with -2 to living MAT only laughed at the feeble fennblades. The champs and kriel warriors followed the charge and attacked the road hogs, not doing enough damage to kill, but cripple them. Jarl wasted his strenght at taking out midas, instead of killing of slaugherhausers with his two shots and magic bullet. A dumb move from me. Midas had no troubles retaliating and offing almost all of my fenns, many kriel warriors, and damaged the champs. Damn, attrition was looking grim for Jarl.

On my turn, I offed one of the road hogs and knocked the other with the kriels. They also did some damage to the right flanking slaugherhausers and the enemy objective. Jarl moved up and magic bulleted away some slaugherhausers and feated. The feat blocked LOS to him and allowed two champs to charge through everyone onto midas. They did some damage to the razor boar and gun boar through Midas. The other champs moved to defend Jarl for the oncoming last stand. My turn ended in a bit of surprise though. I left Jarl in b2b with the left flag, and apparently dominated it, giving me 2 points.

Then end of the game. Notice the knocked down
Slaugher hauser by the left scenario
The pigs would not let me win that easy though. The killed all but one champ and two or three kriel warriors, Midas feated and all that i had killed came back. Damn. But I still had the Mauler, Impaler, Jarl and a champ. If i could clear the right flag, and kill the opponent objective, I would win. There was only two slaugherhausers and the Boneswarm contesting the right zone. With the mauler in charge range of the bone swarm, that was no problem. The champ could kill a slaugherhauser, and jarl could maybe off the other?
The problem was the other objective. The impaler started, but left it at a few hp left. Jarl had to far strike himself to reach it. And killed it! The other bullet triggered the tough roll on one of the slaugerhausers. The mauler made short work of the bone swarm, although he could just have thrown him out of the zone. Then the champ moved up. He took his first attack against the last remaining slaugherhauser and hit. The tough roll failed and we ended the game, which was wrong as there was still a slaugherhauser lying close to the flag. The reason was that I though that knocked down models couldn't contest. They can. So we never cared to roll the last tough check (the champs second attack) to see if he lived or died as it didn't matter.

I won the game, but not fair and square. Would Erik only have run his bone grinder unit to contest the left zone I would have been overwhelmed. Of course, cheating also helps. We will have to roll  a tough check next time to see if I would have won... The tactic I used this game was really awful. I should have just killed of the slaugherhausers with jarl (he alone could kill 4 in a round with two magic bullets) and let the road hogs fight the one of my three units while the others moved into the back line. But blinded as I was with caster killing, I threw away my alpha strike, and beta strike, against Midas.

To sum Incognicon up, it was an awesome tournament. For me, some setbacks and misses cost me a game, and I really have to paint my kriel stone now!










1 comment:

  1. A bunch of great reports!
    I wish I could remember to take photos of my games. :p

    ReplyDelete