Monday 12 December 2016

Christmas tournament game 1 vs Kaelyssa 75pts

Kaekae is craycray
We had a small two round Christmas tournament at our local LGS where I participated. I brought my new Jarl/Horgle2 to the event to try them out. The first game I was paired up with one of the newer players in my meta and he had only brought one list.

Kaelyssa
-Discordia
-Banshee
Max. Nyss hunters + Soulless
Max. Sentinels + Ua + Soulless
Max. Halberdiers + Ua + Soulless
2x Arcanists
Lanyssa

Since he only had one list, I offered him to chose which list of mine he wanted to face, he chose Jarl. Kaelyssa is a rather bad match up for both of my lists. Upkeep hate, along with a strong denial feat is really not in my favour, so it would be a tough match up. My list:

Outlast
Jarl
-Runebearer
-Bomber
-Mauler
Fell caller hero
Stone scribe chronicler
Braylen Wanderhart
Max Fennblades +Ua
Min Highwaymen
Max Champions
Northkin fire eaters

The scenario was the old outflank, now named outlast. The scenario was very good for Jarl as he is more geared toward a wide scenario played as opposed to Horgle2 which rather plays a central one.
I got to start, don't remember who won the roll off, an my opponent chose the side with a wall in one of the zones and a building to hide behind.

After my first turn.
Round 1 - running is cool, feating is cooler
Placing quicken on the fennblades, running them up to threaten his lines. Highwaymen flank to the left zone with braylen, seeking the forest there. Bomber moves up centrally, champs run up behind the fennblades. My opponent moves his things up, triggers vengeance on my fenns without killing one of them. He feats with kaelyssa, keeping things in her reach. This means he does not really try to contest the left zone, which is good for me.

Round 2 - Counter feat, fennblades die
End of my turn 2
Kaelyssa feat really hampers my game plan of having the fennblades charge in and jarl shooting things. Fortunately for me, the fennblades are within vengeance and walk threat. They do just that, after getting buffs from the chronicler and the fell caller. The manage to kill two nyss, one sentinel and two halberdiers and reposition to really be in the way. The bomber manages to kill two nyss who are not in the Disco imprint. I feat with Jarl to hide my champs, bomber and mauler and toe in the rightmost zone. In the left zone I moved the highwaymen forward to kill one nyss and make it difficult to enter the zone. On my opponents turn, he kills most of the fennblades and a fire eater. The sentinels walk into the rightmost zone to contest. I score one point on his turn.

Round 3 - I clear the zone and game over
En of my turn 3 with me on 4 cp.
In my turn, the objective is to clear the right zone to  dominate it. The fire eaters do a great job of killing sentinels, I think two sprays killed 7 of them. The fennblades and champs kill the remaining ones. Jarl stands in place and really does nothing, in hindsight he should just have camped. I score three more points on my turn and stand at 4. My opponent tries to go for an assassination but when he misses the first shot with kaelyssa, Jarl dodges away and game over.

End game analysis
This list works quite well on wide scenario. The weak point of the list is Jarl himself. He is rather squishy and wants to use his fury, which is not the best of combinations. The fire eaters did a lot work this time around. The champions continue to not do so much. This game only made it to round 3, so they did not really get to the action, but they are a big point sink for not doing much work so far. We will see. I think that my opponent played his list a bit to passive and really was hampered by really wanting to get as much use of the feat as possible. The nyss hunters should be able to range out my highwaymen, so giving me that zone for free is not worth it. Even just putting one nyss in the zone to contest would have been a good option. I also need to think more about protecting my own caster.



No comments:

Post a Comment