Wednesday 15 February 2017

Alphastrike 8 part 2, last two games

Due to life, writing the second part of the tournament has been a bit late, but here it is.

Game 3 -Trolloff
So after just losing with zeroish seconds on my opponents clock, I get paired against Jocke, Trollock with trolls. He is playing Calandra in tier and Gunnbjörn tier, iirc. With my pairing of Jarl and Horgle2 and looking over to see a fully loaded krielstone easily accessible in both lists, (and also knowing that Jocke doesn't believe in Jarl out of theme) I go for Jarl. He gets to face a Calandra tier list on the Recon scenario. This game can also be read through his perspective here:
Trollocks battlereport

Calandra PoD
- Runebearer
- Mauler
- Mauler
- Bomber
- Bomber
- Earthborn
Whelps
Shaman
Shaman
Min Stone+Elder
Dhunia Knot

Round 1
After my second round
Calandra fuels the stone and moves up, putting out stars crossed (she keeps the spell up throughout the game, does this really need to be said?) and bullet dodger on the earthborn. She moves up her beasts up and hides them behind the forest and shaman clouds.

Clearing fennblades is fun, calandra says
I get to go and run my army up. I have the bomber go on a hill to the left of the zone, my Mauler backing him up. The earthborn and Jarl go towards a forest on the right of the zone and feats to hide my army from the bombers. Fennblades go centrally skewed to the right, and the fire eaters and highwaymen go on the left.

Round 2
Calandra the left bomber up to shoot at fire eaters, without killing any of them, I think two toughed. She moves one mauler next to it to put some pressure on the flank. The earthborn tramples into the forest in the zone with his animus up. The other bomber and mauler just hides in the back end of the zone behind the forest. She takes a lot of time to place the krielstone so that my magic bullets can't get to it. It leads to the front line beasts being unprotected.

On my turn, I see an opportunity to start piece trading favourably. The bomber gets to aim with far strike and gets some good rolls against the Mauler who then dies to a few highwaymen shots. I charge in with the fennblades against the earthborn to jam to the best of my ability. Unfortunately, I forget that they have reposition which makes the jam less good than it could have been.

Round 3
Calandra uses most activations to clear of fennblades to open a charge lane for the earthborn to the bomber. The earthborn gets raged and kills the bomber, but needs all 4 fury, which leaves him without his animus on.

Why did I put Braylen there?
On my turn I get a possibility to kill the Earthborn with my mauler and highwaymen, and his second mauler with the earthborn and fennblades. The odds needed to be in my favour, and while I got the roughly 50% headbut on the earthborn and easily kill him, the dice weren't in my favour on the mauler which lives on a few (like 3 boxes). Due to a positional mistake, I think this is the first turn I get to magic bullet the stone aura away which also helped the fight. Due to not killing the mauler, I think i go a bit greedy and try to kill his last shaman with braylen, instead of hiding her, which really was a big big mistake.

Round 4
Calandra feats and kills the mauler with the two bombers, the earthborn with the mauler and braylen with the shaman.

After killing the stone once more with Jarl and putting some damage on the mauler, I try to finish it of with a charging fell caller but at four dice minus eight, that usually comes to zero damage... (it should be 6 on average). I think that during this turn, i don't roll more than 7 on any die roll, which is important as I needed to do more damage to the bombers this turn. Would I have killed one of the bombers and the mauler, this game could have gone in my favour, but no such luck.

Round 5
Not much left on the field now
Calandra clears the zone and my objective, taking 3 points. Killing some highwaymen on the way.

I stuff a lot of models in the zone, gobbers, runebearer, fennblade and fell caller. I continue to shoot with jarl but go for the right flag, scoring one point. I do not kill the first bomber.

Round 6
Calandra goes for a good assassination, knocking Jarl down and shooting him with a bomber.

Summary
I do not think this is a bad match up in any way for Jarl. Magic bullet making the stone positioning difficult is very important and boosted pow 12s do damage to the beasts. There definitely were some key moments in this game, getting the knockdown on the earthborn was one. Needing way more than I should have to kill the second mauler was another. But I think that the main error I made was to give up braylen way to easily. Forgetting reposition on fennblades is something I must just learn.

Game 4 - Fighting fire with fire
I go up against a menoth player and immediately decide to drop Horgle2, mainly to get the practise with him. My opponent drops Severious1 and his shooty list. The scenario is extraction.

Fighting fire with fire
Sevvy1
-Eye of Truth
-Reckoner
-Lancer
Idrians+Ua
Sunburst Crew
Sunburst Crew
Choir
Monk
Monk
Kjell Bailoch
Nicia

Round 1
I run my stuff up, MK slightly to the right, Bomber to the right, Fire eaters and sluggers on the right, highwaymen on the left.

He moves up but does not really know what to do as my army i mostly fire immune. He does some damage with the idrians on the MK.

Round 2
Notice the epic fight between sluggers en Bailloch
Removing the idrians is all I can do, and kill all but three at the end his fire phase. I continue to move forward placing myself just outside the threat of the eye of truth.

He jams the flags with Monks, nicia is a big threat on my left, and he tries to shoot against the stone with the sunbursts. Nothing much happens. He moves his visioned Eye of Truth up in threat range of the mk.

Round 3
On my turn, I see a chance to kill the Eye of truth. But there is one idrian blocking the MK. The fire eaters miss it, needing 7s. Horgle goes for a double pound on the MK, but snake eyes makes him miss that. In the end, the axer has to rush himself and boost an attack on the idrian. Killing it. The raged and stonestrengthed MK gets to charge the Eye of truth. Needing 4's to hit, he should have four connecting blows, between vision and oracular vision. On average his ps 23 should do 36 damage to the jack, killing it. But when dice decide to not favour you, you do nine damage total and lose the game then and there.
Them monks and nicia, so annoying.

Sevy easily kills the MK with the Eye, reckoner and lancer as they ignore the armourbuff from horgle.

Round 4-6
I try to clean up and kill his jacks, But really cant gather the damage do to it. We continue this game for a few rounds before I give up as this was the way the game was heading.

Summary
In hindsight. Going in with the MK was a really bad idea. I had the chance to go for scenario play but instead went for the bloody axe to face play and was punished. It could have to do with that I am not used to play four games a day, this is something I have to really practise and build stamina.








No comments:

Post a Comment