Monday 6 February 2017

Alphastrike 8 part 1, first two games

First tournament in MK3 was here and I went with my Jarl/Horgle2 pairing two get a feel for how they would perform in a tournament and how the lists felt.

First game was against a veteran minion player who had brought Jaga Jaga and Rask. The scenario was the pit, and I think that he would drop Rask to combat the possible Horgle2 drop and I was right about him dropping Rask. His list:

After my second turn, bomber putting some heat on the snake.
Rask
-Wrastler
-Wrastler
-Battle boar
 Dalia & Skarath
Wrongeye & Snapjaw
Rorsh & Brine
Mist speaker
Orin
Swamp gobbers
Gremlin Swarm

I got to go first  and he chose the table edge where could be covered as there were walls on the side of the zone and a trench just outside of it. I placed my highwaymen to the left, beasts centrally, the sluggers and fire eaters to the right.

Round 1
I ran forward, putting inviolable resolve on the Mountain King and fire starter on the bomber. He ran forward and positioned himself to threaten into the scenario.

Round 2 
Rask is measuring for the assassination after my MK moved in.
Bomber moves up and throws into the clouds, first bomb drifting and setting a wrastler on fire, the second catching dalia and skarath dealing a lot of damage to both. On his round, things still burn and force dalia to transfer to skarath who now is at one hp. On his turn, he decides to move his admonitioned wrastler infront of the MK and the other wrastler behind him and feats.

Round 3
I see an opportunity to bulldoze the first wrastler away and kill the other, so I rage the MK and do just that. I try to hide Horgle as good as possible in the trench outside of my zone and block him with highwaymen and the bomber. The mk kills the wrastler and dalia & skarath with the spray. The rest of the army moves up to clean up what would kill the MK.

Rask wants to go for an assassination, a rather good one, with brine after killing the MK. Orin moves up to clear, but a tough stops the plans. Snapjaw gets his ps 23 and Rask shoots away the armbuff. Due to really bad dice, Snapjaw does not kill the MK himself and needs the second wrastler, who cannot throw rage on Brine and therefore he cannot kill the bomber as well. He decides to save rorsh and brine for next turn and instead moves the gremlin swarm to block snapjaw and the wrastler.
Rask is measuring for the last ditch assassination

Round 4
Horgle feats and wants to put consuming flames on the gremlin swarm, but orin negates it, he feats. The runeshaper does it instead, putting snapjaw on fire as well. The sluggers and fire eaters kills the swarm, wrastler and snapjaw easily. The bomber kills orin and the battle boar together with the highwaymen.

Rask goes for the last ditch assassination but doesn't get the dice rolling well enough.

Summary
I got rather lucky with the die rolls this game. It would have been much closer if brine would have killed my bomber after the MK went down. Rask really has no worries dismantling my army and I needed some bad dice from my opponent to win.

Game 2 - Nemo3 theme list
So after getting a initial win I get to face of against a Stryker2 Nemo3 pairing on Line breaker. I chose to go with Jarl as I think I need the long threat and shooting to remove his infantry and he goes for the Nemo3 theme list.

Nemo3
-Dynamo
-Firefly
-Lancer
Junior
After my turn 1. Just moving up!
-Firefly
Max Storm Lances
Stormblade Infantry+Ua+3 Gunners
Stormsmith Storm tower
Katherine Laddermore
Acosta
Arlan Strangeways

We roll of and I win, chose to go first. He chooses a side with two hills instead of two forests, which is fine by me. As it is line breaker, I have no rush.

Round 1. 
I run forward with most things, the highwaymen hang behind my left forest, fire eaters behind my right, I move my beasts up centrally behind a long wall and my fennblades in front of it.

He runs his stuff forward and positions on the hills. Arcane shield on the knights.

Round 2. 
Jarl starts killing 4 stormblades and feats, fennblades kills two more. The bomber tries to to something but cannot really reach anything interesting. the fire eaters and highwaymen hang back behind their forests, staying out of threat ranges.

My opponent thinks a while about what to do. He is rather stunted I play so defensively. He moves a firefly into one of the clouds to bounce some shots onto my fenns and kills four or five of them.
After my second round. Feating and hiding. Classic Jarl.

Round 3.
I continue to work on his stormblades and that flank. Move back further with the highwaymen and try to just ignore the knights.

He goes in with the knights to clear for laddermore who can score my left flag. He tries to remove the bomber but fails despite some hot dice from dynamo.

Round 4.
Jarl and the bomber moves to start killing knights. The bomber continues to under perform, killing nothing, Jarl gets one down. The highwaymen and braylen damage another one, and severely damages a third. On my right, the fire eaters kill acosta and the earthborn hides behind the wall. The mauler moves to charge knight on the following turn

The cygnar forces continue to press forward, the two remaining stormblades and the lancer going for the objective and not being able to kill it. Dynamo moves up and finishes of the bomber behind the wall. Knights again clear the flag for laddermore.

Round 5.
Clocks are getting low, and I play just to clock my opponent. The two remaining fire eaters move to defend the flag behind the rightmost forest, the earthborn just hangs still behind the wall. Jarl continues to shoot knights, The mauler kills two of them. The highwaymen remaining and braylen finishes the last one off.

After my fourth turn. Cheers love, the cavalry is here.
The clock is getting really low and my oponent starts speeding up. He charges dynamo to kill the earthborn but does not do it, arlan strangeways moves in to be able to capture the flag. Laddermore kills all but one highwaymen, he finishes of the objective, going up to 3 points.

Round 6. 
The earthborn tries to throw dynamo away so that the mauler could kill it. Misses the boosted sevens needed, but moves so  that he contests. I kill off laddermore on the side, put damage down on the lights centrally.

The cygnar forces clear of the right flag, dynamo killing the earthborn and arlan removing the last fire eater. He goes up to 4 points with 10 seconds left.

Round 7. 
I run in the runebearer to contest the flag but he uses his 10 seconds to kill it and I don't roll the tough.

Summary
Well, I think I played it right to the end. If I would have gotten the throw on dynamo, he would not have been able to kill my electroimmune earthborn contesting the flag, but it is a dice game and I need luck to win, that is the game. I really like Jarl into cygnar, especially with an earthborn.

No comments:

Post a Comment