Wednesday 7 December 2016

The second list - who will be lucky match for Jarl?

Now that I have chosen to run Jarl as my first list in a two list pairing, I need his partner for the pairing. Since I see Jarl as much of a generalist who can deal with most things except high armor, I need the second list to deal with that.

Looking through the troll casters, Madrak2, Ragnor and Horgle2 stand out to me as casters for this job. However, Ragnor I do not own yet, despite ordering the battle box with PG-points this summer, and Madrak2 I am really tired of playing since mk2 already, plus the fact that another infantry heavy army would have the same weaknesses as the Jarl army.

That leaves Horgle2, the fire guy. He has the output needed to crack armor and also can place arm 23 gargantuans on the field. I like the idea to have one list consisting of lots of infantry and one which is more beast focused.

But how to focus on beasts? Do I want many beasts on the field or is it enough with a gargantuan? Which gargantuan in that case? Despite having just painted my glacier king, I think that the gargantuan I want to field is the Mountain King. He has the extra umpf in output that might be needed for some high armor techs out there such as Baldur2. 

Using a gargantuan will be a starting point for me with Horgle2 and this will of course have to be evaluated during games to see if it is better to switch to multiple beasts instead. So what would a starting point look like with Horgle2? For starters, I want a runebearer to assist in getting his upkeeps out and also to use the nuke Consuming Flames as much as possible. Of course I will need a stone with the elder, and I want a bomber to make use of Fire Starter. A Shield Guard is a must with a gargantuan, so it is not tagged by Alten, which means a Bouncer. Then I have 27 points left for other units and solos. I want the min. highwaymen + Braylen package as they get boosted shots during his feat, and the 13 remaining points slot will initially be filled with Sluggers. Yes Sluggers. I think that they will be able to do work during the feat and also outside of it. The list:

Horgle2
-Runebearer
-Mountain King
-Dire Troll Bomber
-Troll Bouncer
Braylen
min. Krielstone +Elder
Max Sluggers
Min Highwaymen

So how will the list work? Well, everything will probably be centered around the Mountain King with inviolable resolve and around the stone. The sluggers will hang back generally, so they are not picked of too easily. The only flankers I have are the highwaymen, so they will need to secure the most crucial flank. I think this will be a fun list to play that can also dish out a lot of damage during the feat turn and pose a significant assassination threat with quite a lot of shooting. Just horgle and his battle group can hand out three boosted pow 16s and two pow 12s during the feat. Adding the highwaymen they have anything between 12 boosted pow 10s or 2 boosted pow 16s, It should be fun to play!



No comments:

Post a Comment